What is an essential oil? Essential Oils are made from plants for physical and emotional benefits. They are distilled from leaves, flowers, tree bark, seeds, or rind of fruit in concentrated amounts. Typically one drop of a dōTERRA® essential oil has a powerful effect making them affordable at just pennies per use!
You will soon learn that there are hundreds of ways to use dōTERRA® essential oils, including relaxation, personal hygiene, household cleaning, cooking, and supporting a healthy body. Every oil has at least one of three application methods: Aromatic, Topical, or Internal.
For Aromatic Use—Breathe in or use a diffuser to open up airways, improve mood, or freshen the air.
For Topical Use—Use a carrier oil when applying to bottoms of feet or affected areas to target specific needs.
For Internal Use—Drop in water, under tongue, or in veggie capsule to support mouth, throat, digestive system, or overall health.
Photosensitivity—No sunbathing after applying citrus essential oils. Citrus oils are sensitive to the sun since they are made from the rind of fruit. Avoid direct sunlight to the exposed area for at least 12 hours of that location may have a skin irritation or burn. Oils applied underneath clothing should be fine.
Hot Oils—If it starts to burn, skip the water. Use a carrier oil or whole fat milk. Because essential oils don’t mix with water, applying water to the area can actually drive the burn in deeper. Ouch!
Avoid These Areas—Never put essential oils in your eyes, inside ear canal, or up nose. However, you may apply oils around the eye bone in a C shape, on ear cartilage and behind ear bone, or diffuse essential oils.
Dilution—Use a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil when applying essential oils topically to avoid skin sensitization.
Safe Storage—The majority of all adverse reactions to essential oils by children have been as a direct result of accidental overdose and ingestion in large amounts. Keep out of reach of children. Use child proof safety caps.
- Creates sense of calm and well-being
- Promotes tranquility and sense of balance
- Clears airways and promotes easy breathing
- Use with diffuser at night for restful sleep
- Use for seasonal respiratory discomfort
- Apply to tired, aching joints
- Use before and after exercise to reduce discomfort
- Use for deep tissue massage
- Clean and dress minor cuts, bites and sores
- Calms stress and tension
- Supports immune function
- Lifts mood and awareness
- Reduce anxious feelings
- Soothes emotions
- Soothes irritated skin
- Supports restful sleep
- Calms bee stings
- Soothes throat discomfort
- Neutralizes odors
- Elevates Mood
- Antioxidant and detoxifier
- Use to clean kitchen
- Skin blemishes
- Beautify the skin
- Healthy scalp and hair
- Apply to feet and toenails
- Protective mouth rinse
- Immune support
- Cleanses and purifies
- Eliminates airborne threats
- Natural defense for kids and adults
- Use internally as a part of a monthly cleansing regime for GI health
- Invigorates lungs
- Increases alertness
- Cools body
- Calms head tension
- Energizing and revitalizing aroma
- Elevates mood
- Powerful cleanser and purifying agent